Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Making Opportunities and Securing Financial Resources


Yesterday I attended the first training session for the Rural Entrepreneurship Initiative (REI) A joint program of the American Farm Bureau Federation (AFBF) and the Global Social Enterprise Initiative and Startup Hoyas at Georgetown University’s McDonough School of Business. The program is meant to bring creative entrepreneurs back into rural areas of the U.S. The session was informative and has me thinking even more outside the box as far as laying out a plan going forward.

Bringing creative ideas, opportunities and solutions into rural areas seems to be at the heart of this program. It does not have to be a farmer, it could be someone finds solutions for a sustainable water supply for the community.

REI is meant to encourage entrepreneurs to have hope, take chances and help create a network of people to connect with.  Spotlight people who are already doing interesting and innovative things.
I look forward to the encouragement, resources and professional development forum to bring my ideas to fruition.


For the first year there are many resources that I can tap into such as the web site strongruralamerica.com, a hub of activities and resources, a five webinar series and the first National Rural Entrepreneurship Challenge for Cash awards in San Diego, California in January 2014.  The challenge is the only thing I can't be a part of because I am an AFBF employee. 

With that said, I am already way ahead of the game with my network of farmers, ranchers, state communications staff and media contacts. 

What should I expect from the REI program?

  • Researching
  • Telling my story
  • Finding money to grow
  • Finding and keeping talent
The first thing on my agenda is to conduct some research, interviews and focus groups with consumers, chefs and small niche farmers to have a handle on the market potential for my ideas.
My ultimate goal is to be as close to my customer base as possible.

As I think outside the box towards the future, an urban rooftop farm is not completely out of the question too! Beautiful open spaces and fresh air seems to be my dream but will this girl be able to leave the city life for green acres is the question? I will have to dig deep and ponder this as I pass the Eastern Shore farmland on vacation which starts in almost 48 hours!:)

3 comments:

  1. Love to read it,Waiting For More new Update and I Already Read your Recent Post its Great Thanks.
    Atkinson

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks David! Hope you enjoyed my new posts!

    ReplyDelete