Monday, January 31, 2011

White Bean Stew and Snowy White Cupcakes

I was feeling under the weather for a couple of days and needed some winter comfort food. I started thinking about white bean stew which always warms me up all over!  After spending two days resting I had to make the trip to the grocery store, why? Because I was running out of healthy fruits and vegetables and I knew I would soon be turning to my favorite friend milk chocolate!

Cannellini beans are buttery, hearty and delicious so I made a pot of White Bean stew. This stew calls for just a few ingredients. You can also make it with or without meat. I also made brown rice sautéed in EVOO and onions and cooked in chicken broth.

White Bean Stew Recipe


Ingredients


1 small onion finely chopped
3 cloves finely chopped garlic
2 Tablespoons tomato paste
Teaspoon of salt or more according to taste
1/2 tsp of black pepper or more according taste
Fine red pepper to taste
pinch of white pepper
Tablespoon butter
2 cans cannellini beans drained and rinsed under cold water

Directions


Melt butter and saute in a 3 quart pot with onions, garlic and pinch of salt and pepper until soft. Add tomato paste and saute 1 minute.  You can add the rinsed and drained beans to the pot and bring to a boil and cook for 15 minutes on low.  Check seasonings and add if needed.

You can also make this with small beef or chicken cubes that you saute with the onions, garlic. Add the water just barely covering the meat and let cook until very tender before you add the beans. Add rinsed and drained beans and let cook on low for 15 minutes. Check seasoning and add of needed. 


My friends Matthew and Dani were coming over to see if my computer was toast so I decided to bake some of my Snowy White Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting.
The bean stew is so healthy, low fat and delicious that I didn’t feel bad eating one cupcake! The rest of them I’m sharing with my taste testers, my co-workers today!  

Here is a photo of My Snowy White Toasted Coconut two layer cake a special request from my sweetie Steve.


Make Someone Smile Bake Something Delicious!

2 comments:

  1. The cupcakes were DELISH! Very light and moist cake and perfect texture frosting. Now just waiting for some stew. :)

    ReplyDelete